- 32 uur hoorcollege
- 32 uur werkcollege
- 104 uur zelfstudie
Toelichting werkvormenThe course consists of weekly lectures and exercises. The exercises are an essential part of the course. Exercises may be done in pairs.
Vereiste voorkennisBasic knowledge of computer science and discrete mathematics (esp. modular arithmetic).
At the end of this course:
- You are able to recognise -- in society in general and within a job environment in particular -- situations in which information security plays a role.
- You are able to recognise relevant security goals in such situations (confidentiality, integrity, availability, authenticity, non-repudiation, accountability).
- You can (on a global level) describe basic techniques to achieve these security goals, evaluate existing solutions, and propose new solutions in practical situations.
- You recognise the social and organisational implications of security technologies (especially privacy), and you can take these aspects into account in your analysis of practical situations.
InleidingSecurity is widely recognized as being of great importance in all areas of information technology: networks, operating systems, databases etc. Security is about regulating access to assets. Crucial questions are: Who are you? and: Should you be doing that? Authentication (of people and computers) and access control are basic aspects of computer security. Cryptography provides a mathematical toolset for realising key security goals, via appropriate protocols.
This bachelor lecture introduces the basics of computer security. It is the first semester course for the computer science curriculum, but the course is can be followed by students from other disciplines (artifical intelligence, mathematics, physics, economics, psychology etc) as well, when they have some basic knowledge and interest in computer science.
- Elementary cryptography
- Symmetric key encryption
- Public key encryption
- Digital signatures
- Management of public keys
- Communication security
- Authentication protocols
- E-mail security
- Web security
- Social issues
ToetsvormWeekly exercises + written exam.
The slides used in the lectures form the basis of the course.
Further material will be provided via the course's webpage.
The lectures for the course will be in Dutch, but the course material and the exercises course will be in English.
Deze cursus heeft ook een Engelstalige beschrijving.
|SWS / PersoonlijkRooster|
- Bachelor Informatica
- Pre-Master Computing and Information Sciences